Wednesday, September 15, 2010

San Diego Easel Art Show

September 5, 2010 was just one of the days set aside for the San Diego Easel Art show with donations going to creativity in schools (I believe). A great friend of mine, Lydia Matin, was featured in the show and graciously invited me to partake in the festivities and viewings of some fabulous local art. This little vixen's chosen painting for the show had sold quickly and was taken by the purchaser before I had a chance to see it in "real life" and snap a shot of it. This is her stunning second painting she was asked to bring for empty easel. Congratulations, Lydia, for your sale-creativity-and fantastic heart. Love you girl!
The "main" artist who had much more than one piece featured was a man named Justin Bower. His pieces were wall-sized sprawling canvases covered in some of the most beautiful color work I have ever seen. His subject matter was life in its most easily understood form, the human face, typically portraying a vivid (painful) emotion. Here were some I enjoyed. I really love the emotion he can cature in the eyes.



Hidden in the back of the show were two rooms. The room on the right held a piece that really touched me. This room was dominated by an artist named Michael Maas (who let me shake his hand) who has this amazing ability to create an energy from his paintings. No joke, this room vibrated with energy...energy so strong that it made some dizzy. My favorite piece of his was much more simple than the triptych pieces on the other walls and it literally jumped out it me as if it were going to swallow me up whole...in the best possible way.
There was a lot great and talented artisit at this local show and it was very neat to see the dynamic, diverse, and versatlie style the San Diego community has to offer. 

To highligt a couple other artists, I really dug Renetta Happe's Bathers and Fran Carder's Sabrina. I encourage you all to seek out local shows on top of all the fancy big-shots (because I know they can be fun too)

Thanks for reading!! Love, Jonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment